After living here for four or five weeks, we have really noticed a huge lifestyle change from Edmonton to Perth. One thing that everyone said before we left was that Australians don't work that hard. Well, I definitely don't agree with that statement but I do think they have the system figured out.
I'm not sure if it's the weather, the beach, the fact that there are NO shops open past 5:30pm, or the inherent culture of Perth, but everyone has a serious social and extracurricular life. Whether it's surfing/ running/ walking on the paths before work at 8am or playing lawn bowls, tennis, or golf after work, it feels like EVERYONE is doing something active every day.
I've never thought that I was a sedentary person but moving here has put Dave and I to shame with our former routine.
The kids are absolutely fascinated about Canada and ask how we can carry on normal lives below 0 degrees. I have had to explain several times what a touque is and why it's not just fashion but a serious part of the Canadian wardrobe. They want to know what kids in Canada are like, what they're interested in and if our schools are what they see in the movies. In Perth, there are no lockers, just a canteen and no cafeteria for them to sit at, outdoor "hallways", an outdoor pool, cricket and rugby pitches. They think because I'm from North America that I am a cheerleader or know how to cheer to which I reply, "HA!" and leave it at that. Damn Glee!
One thing that I find so interesting about Perth is that although it is bustling around 1.5 million people and the largest city on this side of the continent, it still has a very small town feeling. They have voted against daylight savings numerous times, as well as voting against extending "trading hours" past 5:30pm. One mall apparently tried to stay open until 8pm but no one went and they changed their hours back. So you buy your food right after work and only go shopping on Saturdays (if you can be bothered to leave the beach).
After a long month of learning the ropes, we are definitely making the mind shift from "Live to Work" to the much more civilized, "Work to Live".
In the mean time, there are some of us that have to work during the day to pay the rent... good thing I got on with a surfing class in the morning to break up the day! :)
You don't really get a lot of this on the East coast (i.e. Sydney/Newcastle). People are much more live to work over this side.
ReplyDeleteYou should tell them about long johns. And Stanfields (you know, the grandpa underwear with the flap in the back!)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you guys are having a good time.