Monday, February 7, 2011

Rosentrans Down Under!


Well we have officially fallen in love with Australia and Perth. I know... you didn't think it would happen! But it did! 

We live 5 minutes from the beach and although I've been sporting SPF 30 I have officially burnt my backside!!! Any inch that isn't lathered in sunscreen gets quite pink for 3 days - the sun is incredibly intense here! Something about a  stupid missing ozone layer.

Dave and I have wasted no time in finding a fabulous used car - it's a 2003 Hyndia Sonata with 93,000 km on it and we call it "Caddy" because it's literally a Cadillac and way too big for us, we love it! it fits both sets of clubs and all our beach stuff in the trunk with tons of room to spare. And you'll love this... insurance isn't mandatory here! But we got the full deal with everything coverage for ANYONE to drive the car and it's only $600/ year! 

Speaking of golf, we have hit up the local courses and are getting refresher lessons this weekend because I got new clubs and am worse than I was when I was 14! I'm absolutely horrible with these news clubs but the good thing is lesson are dirt cheap and so is the golf! ($5 after 5pm for as many holes as you can play!) Needless to say we will be taking full advantage of that since we can't bare to think of golfing before that time anyways in the 40 degree heat. 

The day we arrived, instead of unpacking or grocery shopping,  we headed for the beach and hung out there for the day. The beach where we are is the surfing and kite surfing mecca where every guy on the beach is absolutely ripped and cut! Dave and I both are in awe at some of the bodies walking around here. Although Australia is the 3rd obese country in the world, none of them are at Scarborough beach! :) Every night here there is something going on, beach volleyball, water polo sprint races, kite surfing spectacles.... its pretty sweet.

However, that first day on the beach we jumped into the water and within a few moments I was stung several times by some unknown sea creature. Everyone at the beach said it was "sea lice" and that it was no big deal but after a week I had a huge rash which covered my back, chest and heart pains which Dave thought was heart burn, fever and extreme exhaustion! Turns out I was stung by some sort of jellyfish and just needed lots of vinegar to take it away. The rash and pains have left and I'm finally starting to feel back to normal but I I'm not thrilled about jumping back in the ocean!

And speaking of sea creatures - they have helicopters that patrol up and down the beach to spot SHARKS!!!! That's right - there are tons of sharks that get a little too close to shore and if the helicopter spots them they send a flare down where everyone leaves the water. We were walking up to a beach the other day when the radio reports that people were just starting to return to the water after the shark sighting!!! HAS NO ONE EVER SEEN JAWS????!!! So we picked a different beach and told ourselves that sharks wouldn't swim up the coast! :) Anything to calm your mind!

Dave joined a waterpolo club and although he wanted to play in the "social league" where they bring their eskies to the pool and have a few "stubbies" after the game, he was quickly moved up to the A reserve team and is training 4 days a week. It's absolutely perfect! They called him Steve for the first day because they couldn't understand his accent which was hilarious! I'm sure he'll be recruited to play on some elite, pro club in no time! They have made him train with a 20 lbs weight vest during practice and he's getting a swift introduction to Australian waterpolo.

Yesterday was Australia day and it was spectacular! They really know how to throw a party down here! We went to meet up with a bunch of teachers who are from Canada and Australians who had done the exchange to Canada and we ended up meeting the math department head of a school up near us who offered Dave a job. Right there... on the spot! A full time math position at a very lovely high school 10 minutes from our house! It's absolutely perfect! We called downtown today to confirm and he starts work tomorrow!!! The best part, they will recognize his years of teaching in Canada so he'll basically be keeping his same salary from ESPB.

Anyways, I wanted to let you all know that we have settled in and both have jobs (much to Dave's dismay of not becoming a professional golfer or surfer!). 

Hope you're all surviving the massive snowfall and staying warm! Miss you all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment