Monday, February 7, 2011

The Secret??

Yesterday, while I was at the pool suntanning as Dave trained with his waterpolo team, it occurred to me that three years ago I made the comment, "I would just love to go to Australia where you can play waterpolo and I can come watch you while I tan by the pool".

Now if that isn't The Secret I don't know what is. I'm not saying I believe in the Oprah endorsed book or follow the The Secret Cult, but I do think that when you put it out into the universe it somehow hears you and with a little blood, sweat, and definitely some tears, it will come to be.

School has been in for a week and both Dave and I are settling in quite nicely. We can't quite get over the fact that there are daily surfing classes, morning recess (where it's mandatory to sit and hang out with your colleagues),  ski trips that go to New Zealand and Japan, uniforms and recess (again with the recess)! Everything from the hole punchers to the communal computers are new and we feel like first year teachers at times!

One thing that isn't new are the kids. Kids are kids. No matter what country or what strange accent they might have, they are all the same at heart. (I'm sure even Torah in Ethiopia could agree with that)

In a city where nothing is open past 5pm, we have been forced to explore all kinds of different activities. Dave is playing waterpolo 4 days a week (with two of those at 6am), I'm biking the 11 km to and from school everyday, there's the multitude of golf courses around us that we hit up for nine holes or we're forced to watch the sunset down at the beach. Last Friday night we went downtown to the free Opera that was put on for thousands of people who came equipped with full picnic baskets and bottles of wine. It's tough but somehow we're managing.

For Dave and I the secret isn't that mystical, it's simple: just take it all in and enjoy the good, the bad and even the ugly. (When we find the the bad and the ugly we'll let you know!)

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I will be reading along. It brings back all the memories and excitment I had when I first got to Edmonton! :)

    ReplyDelete