Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Proud or Just Stupid!???

In Canada, most people are proud of how cold it gets and how they can manage   -35 or even -40 on those rare days. I remember that one day in university when it dropped to -40 and I still bundled up in my snowboarding gear, touque, goggles and all, and made the 25 minute walk to class. When I got there it was a badge of honour to say that I made it to school that day! In a city where there is snow on the ground for 7 months of the year, you're proud that you can handle what mother nature throws at you and that life just carries on.

Although most Australians can't even imagine what -10 feels like, they are equally proud of how they whether the heat. As a little Canadian who has seen +40 degrees only once (Mexico, July 2009 for Kristen's wedding!) I have been in for quite the treat teaching Phys Ed here in Perth.

Students constantly ask if I'm okay as they look at the sweat pouring down my face, the sunscreen dripping off my arms and legs, and my gigantic hat which is always soaked to the brim. My normal response is "it's just soooo hot today!" The students, and even the staff, laugh a little and talk of the worst to come and those +40 days... or even higher. "This is just the warm up," they say.

Just as they can't fathom -40, I can't fathom +40.

Today, however, I discovered just how hot it can get. 

After riding my bike the 12 km to Carine in 35 degrees at 8am, I  taught swimming at the outdoor pool, then volleyball in the sauna of a gym and by lunch it was too late. 39 degrees and 40 % humidity. I jumped into the water to cool down but my body was done. I walked to my afternoon class and was pretty embarrassed as 25 sixteen year olds told me I had sunstroke and made me go lie down. After walking into the air conditioned Phys Ed office it was pretty apparent that my little Canadian body was fed up with the heat. Thankfully I was driven home asap and put in front of the air conditioner and rotating fans with a bottle of gatorade.

Now that I've recovered a bit, the look on the faces of my students was pretty funny as their teacher literally goes down for the count in front of them! Silly Canadian!

It does make me wonder why are we so proud of the ability to handle abnormal temperatures? No one gets a medal for living in insanely cold or hot temperatures and frankly I don't think getting sunstroke while at work even merits bragging rights.

Tomorrow's plan... board shorts and a rashie... and to teach IN the pool. 

1 comment:

  1. You poor thing!
    It's a lot easier to pile on the layers for -40 then to cool off in +40.Not that we're comparing...
    Remember to stay hydrated (that includes the electrolytes!!)
    XOXO
    Dr. T

    ReplyDelete