Tuesday, August 16, 2011

In Sickness and In Health


After 15 amazing days in Vietnam of sightseeing & cultural immersion, Vietnam finally claimed a Tran. Not the Tran that you were all thinking would go down... but Dave "Iron Guts" Tran.


But first we must back up two months when we went for our travel vaccinations. As I loaded up in $400 of shots, Dave refused to get all the vaccinations that I did because as he said, "I'm Vietnamese". 

Famous last words.


Actually Dave... you're Canadian!!


So needless to say Dave ate EVERYTHING in Vietnam and got sesame/ peanut poisoning only once. However, when we visited his family down in the Mekong Delta we were forced to try all the "local" delicacies. Things like snails (and the garden/ sludge kind), clams (not oysters or mussels), eels on a stick (with teeth and eyes still intact). 



Of course we both tried everything and felt instantly ill. However, in order to save face with the family we knocked back a Saigon beer and kept going. Finally, I couldn't do it anymore and stuck to the noodles but Dave was the show pony of the family and had to stick in there. After 3 days of eating like this in 38 degree heat and 99% humidity our bodies were hating us. 

After a painful six hour bus ride back up to Saigon, Dave crashed for two days and then we made the long 20 hour journey back to Perth. It turns out that he simply had a terrible case of traveller's diaaheria, which I was vaccinated against. (I highly recommend everyone get Dukoral before you travel!)


However, as Dave recovered I went down like a ton of bricks. With massive headaches and vertigo for a week, my body finally gave out and I decided to check out the Perth medical system.  Why not?? We have seen so much of Perth, why not meet a few doctors, neurosurgeons, and nurses. After CT scans, IVs and a fabulous  Spinal Tap, I was sent home with the diagnosis of "one hell of a migraine". With my plethora of pills in hand and the best bed side nurse a woman could want, I have recovered... for the most part. 

Looking back at the past month and our pile of medical bills, one thing I know for sure is that Dave and I have fulfilled our vows of taking care of each other in "sickness" this past month!

No comments:

Post a Comment