Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Sea was Angry!

Well I just got back from my first camping trip with the grade 11's. Instead of heading to a mountain range or a little Yowocas campsite, we caught the ferry and headed out to Rottnest Island for two days. The island, "Rotto", is Perth's little getaway 45 mins from shore. It is 15 km long and no cars or animals are allowed on the island. The main mode of transportation is biking and after two days of riding this rental antique around the island 8 times, I can hardly sit down!!

The whole experience was great, except the little part where you needed to catch a ferry to and from the island. Let's just say that I am officially a "land lubber"! At 8am the wind was howling and the sea was angry! So with my trusty pack of dremamine I doped up and was ready for the ride. As soon as we pulled out of the dock it was as if we were on a rollercoater of death at some ridiculous amusement park. 15 out of the 40 kids were all jockying for a spot over the back rail where they could vomit.

I have to say at that moment, as teacher and student were side by side throwing up any resemblance of breakfast, there is a sort of bonding that occurs. It could take weeks, even months to build a relationship with students, however as we all hung our heads over the side I can honestly say I will be linked to these kids forever.

2 comments: