Well, it's official... Jordan and I are officially coming back home to Edmonton for a white Christmas. Reality is... beer and bananas are WAY too expensive here in Perth. Actually, now that I think about it, there are a lot of things that are expensive here. For instance, my mother was complaining (on Skype) that another 20cm of snow just fell the night before. So, I asked her if she was driving my Xterra truck to work. She said absolutely not! The gas in Edmonton is SO expensive at $1.18/L... it's ridiculous and astronomical! Well, when I explained to my mom that gas in Perth is at a whopping $1.51/L, she literally fell out of her chair! But going back to the bananas, because Perth is hardcore on local products, most of the bananas come from Queensland... now if you have been following the news as of late, Queensland had a massive flood this summer and completely wiped out the majority of its crops. As a result, bananas were costing $18.00 per kg (that's like $4 for 1 banana). So the running joke is that if you see a bloke with a banana, you automatically assume he's rich! Needless to say, Jordan and I get leg cramps almost every week! So when you're throwing out those half eaten bananas at home, don't think about those poor African kids... think about us!! Banana deprived down under.
Things at school are getting much better! Besides the recent fire bombing in the school yard a few weeks ago, things have settled down. Kind of a funny story but basically it was a Friday afternoon and the kids had an English test last block. So instead of wagging class, they decided to lite up the school yard and evidently smoke out the entire English building. Now, here is the funny part... instead of moving the kids to the footy oval, they call for all students to move into the gym. Yup... school's on fire... let's move all the kids to the gym. Now that I think about it, I don't think there was even a fire alarm... I think the kid just ran out of the classroom screaming FIRE!!! Needless to say, the fire was contained and classes actually resumed 40 minutes later.
It is finally autumn and I am now wearing t-shirts at home. The day still gets quite toasty but not as humid as in February. We did get our first taste of rain a couple days ago, and even though it was only for 5 minutes, that was the most rain Perth has received in the past 3 years. Seriously, we're in a draught and water conservation is a BIG thing!
So no more questions about whether or not we're ever coming home... the flights are booked and we'll be there bringing in Christmas and New Year's with a bang! It's official.
No comments:
Post a Comment