Monday, September 12, 2011

Faith Renewed

Dave and I decided to do the exchange 2 years ago for the experience of doing something completely different. We wanted the challenge and change of living on the other side of the world to explore and teach. We thought about all the potential problems that could arise: the heat, the cost, transportation, traveller's insurance, medical insurance, destinations to travel to and of course those infamous shark attacks!

We had thought of it all.... except the one part that brings in the pay cheque... teaching. For some reason we thought that teaching in Australia wouldn't be THAT different to Canada. I mean it's not as if we're teaching starving or malnourished children in Africa... we're in Australia... the land of sun and surf.  How different could it be??

Well, after nine long months of teaching we can officially say, it is VERY different.

However, as things have ebbed and flowed, and we've become regulars at the local Clean Skins store, things have slowly but surely changed:
  • Dave and I have gotten used to not having a computer and instead walk to our "pigeon hole" 3 or 4 times a day to get the news/ updates.
  • Print out any funny emails and put them on colleague's desks instead of sending email forwards
  • Realizing that if kids are swearing, but it's not at you, it's not the worst thing (ie. ignore it)
  • Learning to run to the staff room during recess and having that cup of tea, regardless of what you need to do next period or if you even like tea!
  • Putting on your neon vest for supervision in the school yard
However, as we've got used to how things are done here, the students have gotten used to Dave and I. After 3 very long terms of teaching, students are treating Dave and I with respect and go out of their way to say hi or talk to us. It is a complete 180 from where we were 9 months ago and this recent camping trip with 30 grade 12's was the icing on the cake.

Although I don't teach any of the grade 12's, I was asked to supervise the 4 day "bush" camp where we camped, did a world class high ropes course, kayaked down rapids, hiked and relaxed. It was by far the most relaxing and welcoming group of students I've ever met. Instead of sitting around individual camp fires, all the students would come over and sit with the teachers and wanted to hear stories about camping in Canada and of course... the bears! So I told one or two scary bear stories and it was pretty funny to watch the kids jump as the kangaroos jumped around our camp site in the dark! The worst thing these students have are the "wild ducks" that go through the garbage outside the tents while they sleep. DUCKS!! Too funny!

Not only have the kids improved and taken to Dave and I's style of teaching, we've discovered some really important things about the teaching profession and ourselves (I know... very deep and something to discuss over a bottle of wine not a blog!).

In any rate, we have had quite the amazing experience over the past nine months but more importantly, our faith in the Aussie student has been restored... for now! ;)

Walking along a tight rope using all core... didn't get far!

The Australian Bush

Messing around on the ropes course

Trying the climb

Now that's high!! 


1 comment: