Monday, May 23, 2011

The Wet

After 5 months of blistering sun, it finally rained! Now it didn't just rain... it was a complete downpour where they got more rain in one day then they had in the entire year combined.

We woke up to thunder and lightning and by the time school started it was a monsoon. We kept the kids in for phys ed for the first period and played a massive game of dodgeball (the first time all year that any classes have been combined) and by the time the second period came I was told to suck it up and take my class outside. 

So I grabbed my pseudo rain coat (fashionable not functional) and took my grade 9 girls down to the oval to play field hockey. The rain had let up and was drizzling nicely as all the girls kicked off their shoes and began dancing in the rain like they were straight out of the movie 'Australia'. Now I'm all up for playing sports in the rain, but I've never seen students take off their shoes and literally run wild with excitement. And it wasn't just my class... the two other boys classes were completely shoeless as well and just as wild playing footy!! However, as the class continued, the rain picked up and started coming in sideways and at one point I felt like Forrest Gump in Vietnam. After a solid 45 minutes and my three layers soaking right through, I pulled the teacher card and called it a day. 

I came home and have been frantically looking for a rain coat since that day thinking I would see more rain this week. Nope... that was it. 

Was that winter??

No wonder the kids were so happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment