Monday, March 14, 2011

See Australia and Die???

Dave was given this book called "See Australia and Die" before we left. It was more of a gag gift I think but I have to say it is turning out to be my life.

The book relates stories of how tourists come to Australia and something in the wild, usually something ridiculous, ends up killing them.

Now I'm being dramatic but today I was teaching volleyball to my grade 11s. We were kicked out of the gym again for some random reason and had to set up the net outside in the field. The only problem was that it was 35 degrees and climbing at 11am and the kids wanted to play in the shade.

I surveyed the scene, like the professional I am, and said that we should play in the little clearing in the treed area. Once I finally got everyone playing and into the game I took my position as ref which happened to be under a 20 ft tall tree.

I can't really explain what happened or how I knew what was going on above me, but as I'm refing the game, I heard an enormous "SNAP" and knew instantly that the tree above me was falling. Without looking up, I put my hands over my head and bolted the 15 feet I needed as this enormous branch broke off the tree and landed right where I was standing!! Thank goodness no kids were in the area!

The kids all looked at me and yelled, "Miss, you almost died!" Once I realized what happened I was impressed with my cat-like reflexes and just started laughing!  Next thing I know the whole school thinks I'm spider woman for escaping this near death experience!

The snap and crash was so loud that the automotives teacher heard it from his shop across the field and came out. The gardener then came and needed a tractor to pull the branch away!

And like the good PE teacher I am, we finished the game!!

If it's not the heat, humidity, jellyfish, stingers or students trying to kill me... it's the trees!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment